WSIB Claims (Workplace Safety and Insurance Board)

In Ontario, whether you’re a worker, a large employer or small business owner, you have rights under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act 1997. The Workplace Safety and Insurance Board is an independent trust agency that:

  • Administers compensation for loss of earnings and health coverage for workers,
  • Provides no-fault collective liability insurance and access to industry-specific health and safety information for Ontario workplaces.


Being injured is stressful enough, and having to add the stressful task of filing reports, claims, doctor’s visits, and reduced income can leave you feeling overwhelmed. If you have been injured at work or have suffered a work-related illness, you will want to seek the assistance of our knowledgeable paralegals who understand the procedures, policy, appeals and hearing process in relation to WSIB claims.


WSIB claims may involve:

  • Loss of Earnings Benefits (LOE)
  • Future Economic Loss Awards (FEL)
  • Non-Economic Loss Awards (NEL)
  • Repetitive Strain Injuries
  • Initial Entitlement
  • Return to Work (RTW) Work Reintegration (WR)
  • Unemployability
  • Suitable and Available employment
  • Labour Market Plans (LMR)
  • Survivor Benefits
  • Chronic Pain Claims
  • Traumatic Stress Claims
  • Secondary Depression Claim


What should I do first?

If you suffer a workplace accident or illness, you should:

  • Tell your employer about your accident or occupational disease. If you need more than first aid, your employer should send a report of your accident or disease (Form 7) to the WSIB within three days.
  • Complete a Worker’s Report of Injury/Disease (Form 6)
  • Obtain the name, addresses, and phone numbers of any witnesses
  • Get medical attention right away (for example, first aid, hospital emergency, family doctor).
  • Tell the person treating you to send a Health Professional's Report (Form 8) to the WSIB.
  • Report the accident to your union or your health and safety representative, if you have one.


What types of injuries and illnesses can I file a WSIB claim for?

You can file a claim with the WSIB for many different kinds of injuries and illnesses. The types of conditions you can file a claim for include:

  • accidents
  • disablements (injuries that happen gradually over time)
  • psychological conditions
  • occupational diseases
  • hearing loss


Call or click here to book a consultation.